5 Fun Facts about Audi
1. Apprenticeship – August Horch, the founder ofAudi, worked under Karl Benz, founder of Mercedes-Benz for 3 years before starting his own venture.
2. A. Horch & Cie. – August founded a car manufacturing company called A. Horch and Cie. in 1899. While successful, Horch has differences with investors and decided to start a new company, Audi.
3. Decades of Crash Tests – Audi has been conducting scientific crash tests for over 75 years. The first test had engineers rolling a subcompact F7 down a hill, causing a controlled rollover.
4. Latin for “Hear” – Since August was prohibited from using “Horch” as a trade name in his new car business, he settles for its Latin translation: “Horch!” in German meaning “hear!” became “Audi,” the singular imperative form of “to listen” in Latin.
5) Audi Lunar Quattro – Google’s Lunar XPRIZE competition invites scientists to build a Lunar Rover that can run on the surface of the moon for 500 meters, while broadcasting high-definition live feed. Audi has partnered with a team of scientists in Germany to build a Lunar over powered by Quattro named ‘Audi Lunar Quattro.’